Sofia and I went on a city trip to Frankfurt and had a wonderful day enjoying sunny weather and great food. Obviously we did crave for dessert after some perfect meals. Fortunately some relatives, who live right in Frankfurt invited us over for tea and they didnt have anything to eat along. What better opportunity could it have been for us to make some amazing mini carrot cakes for everyone?
We were totally over the moon and started spreading our passion in our aunty’s kitchen.
So lets not let you wait for too long and get to the recipe:
Ingredients for base:
450g Carrots (peeled)
225g Brown Sugar
300ml Sunflower Oil
2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg (optional)
2 Tsp Fresh Ginger (chopped)
175g All purpose Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 pinch of Salt
150g Walnuts (finely chopped)
4 drops of Vanilla Essence
Ingredients for frosting:
350g Philadelphia Cheese
100g Icing Sugar
3 drops of Vanilla Essence
Cinnamon, Marzipan Carrots
TIP: Carrots are good for your skin!
Baking Time: 45 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Grind the peeled carrots in a mixer and put aside.
3. Beat the eggs until foamy.
4. Add the sunflower oil, sugar and brown sugar gradually, after that add the vanilla essence, chopped walnuts, nutmeg and fresh ginger.
5. In a separate bowl sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
6. Add the flour mixture in three batches to the egg mixture and make sure that the consistency is creamy.
7. Fold the carrots and raising into the mixture.
8. Pour the batter on baking tray laid out with baking paper.
9. Bake for 45 minutes until the batter is spongy.
10. Meanwhile prepare the frosting by beating the butter until creamy.
11. Add the philadelphia cheese, icing sugar and vanilla essence.
12. Now top the base with the frosting and decorate according to taste.
We decided to cut out round circles out of the cake to make it look like mini carrot cakes rather than a big one. In our opinion the cakes look way fancier and are easy to be eaten with the fingers. Some perfect finger food for aftertoon tea and coffee time.