Celebrations and celebrations! So many birthdays are coming up these months and along with that plenty of invites. How amazing is it, that we can choose to have our most beloved and dear people around us to celebrate the joys of life. Be it a birthday, anniversary, graduation party etc. when we want to celebrate, there are plenty of moments to be cherished. One should never forget to take some memorable pictures, so those precious moments can never fade. And when years later you tidy up your apartment and suddenly find boxes and albums in the very last corner of your cupboard and start browsing through them, you do realize that time flies and past memories do bring smiles and tears. While you sit on the floor and surround yourself with all those clicks, one does fly back in time and sometimes we wish those moments would come back and sometimes we hope that moments like those will come again in our lives. A photo is indeed a great invention. And it is not necessary to take tons of pictures, because sometimes that one particular photo can say more than a thousand words. A human being is a creation that does not survive by being alone, in fact we enjoy company and need each other to complete life and share our sorrows and joys. We find that company in parents, siblings, partners, friends, husband, wife, children and some relations that we do not know what name to give them. Even though social networks and multi media has quite overtaken the lives of all of us, we should not forget how pleasurable real life interaction can be. And when we have that chance to meet up with someone we dearly love, we tend to wish to show them how much they mean to us.
On that note we have something very special for you today. Meet your friends and family next time with a special twist and cook something for them that will make them “ooh” and “aah” over the love you have for them. We would like to very proudly and lovingly present to you today „Lemon Cake Pops”. A small and very cute delight that will make your next gathering a memorable one.
Moreover we would like to mention that it is best to bake the base one day prior to serving, to make sure that the cake pops are firm and slightly sticky.
Baking time: 45 minutes on 180°C (top and bottom heat)
Equipment: Bundt Cake Pan, 24 Lollipop sticks
250g All purpose flour
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
Zest of one lime
4 Tsp. lemon jelly
For the coating:
300g Icing Sugar
Juice of 2 Lemons
1. For the dough you need to make a sponge cake lime base. First cool down the butter and let is soften. Preheat the oven.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and lime zest in a bowl.
3. Mix the eggs, butter and yoghurt in a separate mixing bowl.
4. Now combine both mixtures and keep mixing until you have a smooth consistency.
6. Butter the bundt cake pan, fill it with the batter and put it in the oven.
7. After 45 minutes of baking, take the form out of the oven and let the cake cool down for 10 minutes. Release the cake from the form by putting it upside down on a large cake plate. As we have mentioned before it is best to let the cake rest for one whole day.
8. Crumble the cake in a bowl and add 4 spoons of lemon jelly. Mix the cake well until the consistency is just moist enough to roll into balls.
9. Start rolling balls with a diameter of 2-3 cm.
10. Mix the lemon juice and icing sugar in a small bowl.
11. Your cake will serve approximately 24 cake pops. Put them all on a tray, dip the lollipop sticks into the icing sugar mixture about one inch and push the covered end of the stick into the centre of the ball. Place the cake pops on a tray and let them rest for 60 minutes in the freezer.
12. Now dip the cake pops straight down into the left over icing sugar mixture until it is completely submerged and the dip is touching the stick. Hold it sideways over the bowl and keep rotating as it drips. When it stops dripping, turn the lollipop upside down to stop any further dripping. Clean off excess sugar coating from the stick.
13. Decorate them now depending on your taste. We used colorful sprinklers. It is recommended to do the decoration when the sugar coating is still wet, otherwise the sprinklers will fall off. Enjoy!!!
Tip: Further decoration ideas could be melted chocolate for the coating (e.g. if you add food color to melted white chocolate, it can give your cake pops a really nice look), chocolate shavings, coconut shavings, etc.